Beyond Just Scenic Flights
As well as being the owner of Seaplane Scenics James Young is an FAA Certified Flight Instructor. As a CFI, James has enjoyed introducing many people to the art and science of flying using his knowledge base and expertise achieved by over 34 years of flying. James is a member of several Aeronautics groups such as Seaplane Pilots Association, Alaska Airman's Association, Airplane Owners and Pilots Associations (AOPA) as well as several affiliated groups.
Introduction to Flight - Land or Sea
Seaplane Scenics offers a one hour introductory instructional flight in a land plane or a seaplane. Both exciting opportunities includes 15 minutes of ground preparation and 60 minutes of flight time. Whether it be on your bucket list or the beginning of a new and captivating addition to your life this is an awe-inspiring opportunity. The cost of this stimulating experience is $255.00 for the land plane and $325.00 for the seaplane.
We also offer an exhilarating hour of training in a high performance seaplane. With this selection you will be flying for 60 minutes in a Cessna 185 with 300 HP. The cost of this service is $695.00 and will be the memory of a lifetime.
For those already familiar with the friendly skies but wish to add on a Seaplane rating to their current pilot’s license, Seaplane Scenics offers training for additional rating of ASES (Airplane Single Engine Sea). You will receive 4 hours of ground training and 8 hours of flight training. Each student will have different training time requirements based on individual proficiency. The base cost for an add on rating is $3000.00 or prepay for a block rate.
ASES Block Rate: Examiner fee and check ride flight time not included in block rate.
- 6 hour package: 4 hours of ground instruction and 6 hours of flight instruction in a C-172L for $2200.00 with additional flight hours at $300.00 per hour and ground at $100 per hour.
- 8 hour package: 4 hours of ground instruction and 8 hours of flight instruction in a C-172L for $2800.00 with additional flight hours at $300.00 per hour and ground at $100 per hour.
- Examiner's fee varies from $600 to $700
- The aircraft is $250 per hour for the check ride.
CFI accompanied flights - add another measure of safety by completing a new flight route or getting acquainted with a new aircraft. The cost of this service is $100.00 per hour for instructor services only.
There are several other Instructional Services offered by Seaplane Scenics:
- Tail wheel and Spin awareness training in an Vans RV6 from Renton or Chehalis
- Biennial reviews for current pilots & recurrent training.
- Airspace training for both class B and C around Seattle and Western Washington.
- Canadian boarding crossings, Canadian flight rules and customs (EAPIS).
- Advanced Seaplane training with high performance Seaplane operations including confined space, high altitude, river and mountain flying operations.
- Instructor Services in your aircraft and ferrying aircraft.
Please contact us for specifics on the above programs, pricing and availability.
Special Note: All flights are subject to weather conditions.
Vans RV 6 training documents
- Flying Handbook (FAA-H-8083-3B) Tailwheel (Chapter 13)
- RV 6 Checklist and V speeds
- RV Transition Training Syllabus
N19752 -Cessna 172L documents
- 1972 C172L-POH
- C172L Float Supplement
- C172L N19752 Checklist and V speeds
- EDO 2130 Float flight manual supplement
N46287 C172I Documents
- C172 I N46287 Checklist and V speeds
- C172I N46287 Float Supplement
- C172I N46287 POH
- C172I PK STC
- C172I RAM STC
N103AM Cessna 185F
Seaplane study materials
- Commercial Pilot ACS
- FAA Seaplane Flying Handbook
- KRNT and W36 Airport departure and arrival information
- Private Pilot ACS
- Private Pilot Syllabus
- Seaplane Rating Syllabus
N756AW C172 N